Thread: Jaw pain?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Bryanna

Thanks as always for your concern & help. The answers to your questions are:

The person who decided the tooth needs a root canal was the endodontist - he stands to make $2500 out of the deal (root canals in Australia are VERY expensive). He diagnosed it by putting a dam around the tooth and putting cold water on it - I just about jumped through the roof with the pain. The normal dentist had done cold tests on it but while I had a little lingering pain my reaction to the cold was not so dramatic - endodontist says because the tooth wasn't isolated. The root at the back of the tooth where the wisdom tooth was extracted has some exposed root but I assume the dam would have stopped the cold water from touching that?

I have been tossed around by these people - no they are not in the same practice but their practices are within a few km's of each other and they must refer to each other regularly. But I find this with all health professionals - they are happy to help when you have an easy problem but once it gets complicated they palm you off.

The only teeth I am currently missing are my wisdom teeth. Top ones were removed in my mid 30's as they had super erupted because the bottom ones were impacted. So this tooth I am considering pulling will really be my only missing tooth (other than wisdoms). I'm not sure I understand how the tooth above it drifting down can cause bone loss?

I really don't want a root canal but I don't want an implant either - one thing I was aware of and this experience has confirmed is that I don't heal well. I'm always the one who has a rare complication, keloid scarring and adhesions with other surgeries so I don't really trust that my bone would accept a metal implant and I REALLY don't want to go through more suffering.

I've noticed though that I do chew a lot on my second molar. I'd love to hear from other people on this site who have had that tooth removed and how do they get on with chewing? Do they enjoy their food less? Do they tend to favor the other side of their mouth (which I currently do but I have a huge filling which I have had for 35 years on that second molar which I am careful not to break)?

Thanks Bryanna and anyone else who wants to chime in.
Mytoothhurts2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote