Thread: Severe pain
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am also a Peripheral Neuropathy patient - for over 20 years - with constant moderate to severe pain with the worst being from my knees down. About 5 years ago we tried the Duragesic Patch (all the other stuff we tried had failed) and after titration to the 100 strength patch, my 7 to 9.5 pain levels went down to a very tolerable 2 to 4 level. I am now using one 100 strength patch with one 25 strength patch and changing them every 48 hours. The resulting lowering of the chronic and constant pain is allowing me to lead a relatively normal life. I even walk (with my cane) 1 to 2 miles daily and drive my car without incident. This medication has never made me feel 'high' or zonked out or anything like that. The only side effect I have is constipation which I control with over the counter stuff from the drug store.

I am now 75 years old and my hands are steady, my mind in clear, and I function quite well and am enjoying life. I am dependent on the patch but not addicted - a huge difference. The Duragesic Patch does not work for everyone (what does?) but is certainly worth a try when other meds fail. I found that I needed a pain reliever in my 'system' 24/7/365 and that this medication worked for me without having to remember to take pills 2, 3, or 4 times per day.

I sincerely hope that others with chronic moderate to severe pain can achieve the same results. It's more often than not a question of finding a good physician that is willing to "take on" a patient with chronic pain from whatever the cause. They are hard to find but they are out there and believe it or not, more and more physicians are learning that chronic pain is indeed a legitimate medical condition deserving the best that the profession has to offer. I hope all of you have such a physician or will soon find one. Good luck.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote