View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 04:01 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused Is it Worth Trying Again?

I'm a 69 yo man with, what is to me, rapidly progressing NPH. Last year it was determined that I was a good candidate for a shunt, and I went in for the surgery at the beginning of May. From the very beginning, I had severe positional headaches, so much so that I had to be pretty much lying down constantly.

About 10 days after the initial surgery, I went back to the neurosurgeon, who adjusted the valve (and had difficulty doing so, I might add - they took at least 3 X-rays that day), and sent me home. The pain only resolved somewhat. The headaches returned anytime I was in any way upright, though it took them a bit longer to come on. Still, it was unbearable.

The doctor thought that, because it was set to a very slow drain, that perhaps the valve was malfunctioning, so we decided that I'd go back in once again so that he could deal with it. When he took out the valve and tested it, it was just fine, so the surgeon removed the entire shunting system and pretty much washed his hands of me.

Now, almost a year later, my symptoms have gotten much worse and I'm wondering if it's worth seeking out a second opinion at a different hospital. I'm feeling kind of desperate, actually. I would love to hear any experiences others have had and whether certain of the hospitals are better regarded. We're in New England, and are looking at Johns Hopkins, Brigham & Women's and Columbia so far.
Tecari_S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote