Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker8 View Post
I will have TOS surgery on Monday and I am very nervous. Can anyone tell me if they have had successful outcome from surgery? I also filed for SS disability over 2 years ago and now wainting on hearing in front of judge. I would like to know if anyone has received SS disability for TOS. I have extra rib bilaterally dead pulse on both sides most of my pain left sided. I have been in chronic pain for years had many surgery including 3 level survical fusion now also had disc above fusion ruptured. can anyone give me hope.
Surgical outcomes are pretty varied - depends on so much - surgeons skill, post op care and proper post op PT, possible scar tissue, patient follow up & compliance to use & limits during recovery, a few post op had gotten in car accidents during recovery and that isn't good at all.

basically though- the Pub med studies show that the majority of TOS surgery patients do well - some do not see very much improvement and a few have very poor outcomes.
If the extra cervie rib is the main problem compressing on the blood flow mainly- and you don't produce a lot of scar tissue in the months after - and surgeon is very good {experienced}...
If you feel very comfortable that you have found the best surgeon that you can - but if you aren't certain yet , don't be afraid to cancel, and rethink options.
I just don't want to see you have a surgery like this with a surgeon that is not fully skilled and qualified to do it.

this is from a 2004 study of TOS surgery in France- it doesn't sort out those with extra C rib from the others.
Functional results were
excellent, 87 (49.4%)
good, 61 (34.6%)
fair, 14 (8%),
and poor in 14 (8%) procedures respectively.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=17275

useful links thread - has our polls , articles, and many helpful links -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=84