View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi fugeri,

First thing...if you are a smoker, do not smoke. Forty eight hours is something patients are told but truthfully that is not long enough. The toxic chemicals in tobacco will cause unmeasurable irritation to the wounds, infection and can prevent complete healing.

Refrain from smoking until all of the surgical wounds are closed over with gum tissue even if this takes several weeks. Perhaps it is a good time to stop smoking altogether!

Secondly, a receptionist cannot legally prescribe any rx meds for a patient.

Thirdly, the swelling may be normal but it may not be. So it is best to have it clinically evaluated by a dentist. Preferably an oral surgeon. Did you see an oral surgeon for the extractions or a general dentist?

It is normal to have a bad odor in your mouth from the surgical wounds. These are not shallow openings, they are deep into the bone. To lessen the odor, make sure to eat carefully avoiding food from getting stuck in the holes and keep your other teeth clean with brushing and flossing. Do not use any mouthwash as the chemicals in them will dry up your saliva, irritate the wounds and can prevent healing. Rinse gently with warm salt water 3-4 times a day. Eat a nutritious soft food diet until the wounds close over and avoid sugar or soda as those things have no nutritional value and can slow down the healing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugeri View Post
So I had my upper left and bottom 2 wisdom teeth removed along with 2 root canals and some fillings on 3/11/15. I had some issues with getting numb and they had to apply numerous times. Overall everything took about 2 hours and after the extraction was told to just not suck through a straw or smoke for 48 hours. I was prescribed Percocet for pain and no antibiotics.

I bled for the first 24 hours but everything seemed normal until I decided to brush my teeth friday night. I felt like I hit something on my right side and bled a little. Didn't really think anything of it.

I woke up on 3/14/15 with my right side of my face more swollen and now theres a hard lump on my jaw line. Now heres the fun part, my Dentist office is on spring break. I was given the receptionists number in case anything happened, so I called her up. She said she doesn't think its a dry socket because I'm not in any pain, but she prescribed me Cephalexin 500 mg 3x a day for a week. I was told if this hasn't gone down in size tomorrow morning to contact her again and I'll have to go to the on call dentist.

I don't see this going down by tomorrow morning.. I've only been taking antibiotics for about 24 hours now. And I'm having the taste of death in my mouth. I'm assuming this is infection. But what is this hard lump on my jaw?!?! Its halfway down from the extraction site and is more uncomfortable then painful. But I do get pain/pressure randomly in my teeth. And the lump hurts when touching it.

Help!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote