View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 04:17 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post
JoanneP79,

I was pain free from AS my entire life despite the ongoing fusion. I'm 41 now and they found my AS by accident in 2008 when I had a chest X-ray for pneumonia and saw fusion. I did not feel any pain until 2014. At that point they put me on Humira. Worked 100% for three months and then the back pain and tingling/numbness/burning all started at once. Stopped Humira and I am wanting to find out what is causing the neuropathy so I can decided if I want to go back on biologics or the new drugs coming out this year.

Sorry to hear you also have multiple issues. Does your neuropathy come and go and is it sometimes positional (sitting or bending brings it on?).

Susanne,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will mention it to my neurologist. I don't have any family history though. Have you been able to get any relief?
Hi Xrox, wow, I cant believe tha you felt nothing, amazing. The pain and restriction I felt due to AS was beyond words when it came on. The pain was bad so would take really strong anti inflammatories and pain killers the lot. I only have minor degeneration at this point (14 years later) despite all that pain, its so strange how it works. Do have other full body symptoms such sa uveitis, stomach probs, mild psoriasis. It has kicked into high gear now though. I find that horrible that you cant feel things happening.
When you talk about the new drugs do you mean the IL-17 inhibitors? I have read a great deal about this and am hopeful. I am not in your position but I have read alot saying you should keep away from humira when you have neuropathic problems. Your neuropathy only came on during humira. Have they discussed alternatives such as the older disease modifying drugs such as sulfasalazine, steroids. I know they arent ideal and they arent humira.
If this new drug IL-17 is going to be accessible soon then could you hold out? It depends how aggressive it is for you I guess.
I have problems when I sit down as my tailbone hurts loads. thats where AS all started for me. The neuropathic issues are there now all the time regardless so got no idea whats going on for me. The neuropathy feels very seperate to AS and rheumatic complications for me. I believe it is most definately a second lovely autoimmune disease at fault.
I just read an artcle now when looking on sjorgens syndrome and that article tsalked about carpel tunnel and autoimmune diseases. Basically, you have one autoimmune so having another is highly possible. There are a number related to neuropathy from what I have read. Key one that keeps coming up is sjorgens but apparently there are loads.
I havent helped answer your question but I can at least relate a bit to some things!
JoannaP79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote