View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 02:48 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Metronidazole induced SFN

Hi there,

I just wanted some advice from you peeps.

I have been diagnosed with SFN through skin punch biopsy by a prof in London.

He wrote to me advising that my skin biopsy showed my nerves were re-generating too much and noted it is in contrast to diseases like diabetes were there is a loss of nerve fibers.

When i have read online i can't find much about this, from my understanding it says there is a loss of nerve fibers with most SFN

I have SFN all over, i took Metronidazole twice in November and December 2012, and i noticed symptoms starting on New Years Day 2013. The prof noted that my skin biopsy is in keeping with a drug induced neuropathy/chemo induced (i haven't had chemo). He also noted it was in keeping with neuroinflammation or an autoimmune disease. I have had a full work up including lumber punch which has all come back normal so far. I am having a lip biopsy for sjogens in a few months.

I am 37 this started a few years ago with odd sensations all over my body. i didn't get any burning until i was told it could be SFN, the neuro said the anxiety had brought it all out

So the prof suggested it could be the metronidazole, he said the first case was reported in 1976, but he said i needed to be fully checked first which i am.

So does anybody think this could have been the drug? I am hoping this was the cause as the neuro suggested it won't get worse, but she also said it won't get better even if it is that.
LouLou1978 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote