View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would not pay $15000 for this procedure. The uncertainty of whether near infrared light technology is efficacious for PD is too high, in my opinion, to justify spending that amount of money. And even if this technology proves to be useful, it may be no better than spending time in the sun. Exercising, walking and playing tennis in the sun, is probably a reasonable alternative.

The fact that this technique has been around since at least 2008 and not become mainstream in PD suggests to me that it does not offer much directly.

But, there's more to life than direct causality. LED technology does offer something as a "therebo" (possible THERapy or placEBO). Given the position of the substantia nigra, PD is always going to be a hard target for this technology to address, but it may offer something in the way of relieving other conditions experienced by PwP.

That said, I believe that the science behind the technology is well worth studying.

I have now found on ebay UK 100 1050nm LEDs for £12. LEDs emit a spectrum of radiation, albeit narrower than the classic black body, but still wide enough to include 1072nm. (Anyhow, my take on the theory is that 1072nm exactly is not important. It is used because it offers good penetration in body tissue. This allows less powerful LEDs to be used, thus reducing unwanted heating elsewhere.) A basic helmet could be made for about £20.

Anyone experimenting with this technology is urged to act prudently. There is, it seems to me, the risk of dangerous levels of heating of the eyes and the brain developing.

Finally, I'm very impressed by the quality of the original thread back in 2008. That's before my time on the forum, so I cannot claim any credit. Let us try to reach that standard now.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (03-20-2015)