View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Best way to find a solution? My story..

Hey everyone!

After lurking around here for the past week, I've come to the conclusion that you need to be very proactive in finding solutions instead of just relying on the doctor's word.

I'm 35 yrs old and it all began after wisdom teeth removal 3 months ago. I was under local anesthesia and also given intravenous steroids to reduce inflammation. Post-op I took motrin and a 10 day course of Amoxicillin. About a week later, I noticed the top of my right foot was partially numb, felt like it was asleep. It never went away and the feeling slowly progressed up my calves. I just thought it would go away until I started getting tingles and buzzing in my left foot. I went to my primary and did some bloodwork. Everything came back "normal" and my B12 levels were around 1500. Then went to a neurologist. I did an EMG and was told I probably damaged my perenial nerve and that I have some foot drop, but she didn't explain why my left leg was having the same symptoms. She just prescribed me 60mg dose of prednisone to take for 3 days, then gradually taper off until day 12. After doing lots of research and finding out that this drug was no joke and the dosage was rather high, I skipped out on taking it.

Fast forward a month later, the tingles and buzzing sensations seem to be spreading up my legs, my hands, arms, part of my back/shoulder. My legs feel weaker and my knees have a locked sensation. The pain isn't bad, it's mainly the "asleep" feeling and some slight burning occasionally. It's more of an annoying/uncomfortable feeling. I went to another neuro last friday and i'm having another EMG done in a couple days. Yesterday I felt noticeably more fatigued, loss of appetite, and general feeling of being sick.

After doing lots of research, I definitely think I have some form of PN. I'm not sure if its SFN, LFN, MMN, CIDP, etc. What tests should I request be done? How can I make sure they are being as thorough as possible? Like everyone on here, I want to find a solution as quickly as possible to hopefully prevent it from getting worse. It's very discouraging that it's taking people months and years to be diagnosed properly. Should I be seeing multiple neurologists at once? I am thinking of finding another one just to get a second opinion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tunaboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote