Thread: New to group
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
YES..."total wreck"...I can relate! It's such a nerve-racking decision. I expect you didn't know about the extra scalene prior to surgery, it might have made the decision easier. I have read about that type of anomaly (scalene minimus muscle) --seems to be a rare but known risk factor. Interesting that you did have neck pain, and so glad to hear that it has largely resolved. There are so many different medical opinions on all this. While that one doc told me not to expect full neck pain relief from a transax decompression, another one told me that as long as enough of the scalenes are removed (i.e., *adequate* partial scalenectomy), it shouldn't be a problem.

I really appreciate your sharing all this information. I just have this last set of questions...if you would be so kind. Did Dr. G provide any specific direction/advice on how to avoid scar tissue issues or recurrence? Does Dr G do anything specific during the surgery to mitigate scar tissue? Some docs will place an adhesion barrier around the plexus (like seprafilm), while others don't feel it's necessary or prefer not to introduce a foreign substance. And, does Dr G pre-treat or post-treat with any type of anti-inflammatory or steroid to reduce scarring? Some docs will routinely give IV toradol just prior to surgery, or low dose steroid...while others advocate against this for various reasons.

Again, I really appreciate all the info...and so happy to hear that you are so much improved!!
I did not know about the extra muscle until after the surgery. Dr. G seemed quite surprised by its presence but it was obviously causing problems.

I received IV toradol the second day after surgery. I am not aware of getting one prior to surgery though. I was sent home with narcotic pain meds, 600mg ibuprofen to be taken 3x a day and 10mg of flexeril (muscle relaxant). I followed up with a visit 2 weeks after surgery. At the 2 week mark Dr. G encouraged me to use the right arm. I started PT 3 weeks after surgery.

I don't believe Dr. G did anything to avoid scar tissue during the surgery nor did he seem concerned at my subsequent checkups. Dr. G encouraged me to use the arm and seemed more concerned with my energy level then any symptoms I might be experiencing. He said if I did too much and caused additional swelling that my body would let me know (pain, numbness, etc) but not to worry. Just rest and resume activity as tolerated. He was big on using the arm and not just sitting around.

Reoccurence of symptoms might happen if the scalene muscles that were detached from my 1st rib attached to my collarbone. If this happens and causes problems than another surgery to detach the scalenes from the collarbone would be required. Dr. G told me not to worry about it. I think that is good advice because I have no control over what my scalenes do or how much scar tissue it's going to develop as a result of the surgery. Worrying about it just takes energy away from healing and keeps me hyper-aware of any lingering symptoms.

The hardest thing to get through for me was not feeling the pain anymore. I had been in chronic pain for so long that when it wasn't there anymore, I was in shock. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. It took several months for my brain to catch up with my body.

I encourage you to seek out all your options before making a decision because it's a big one. When the time is right, you will make the decision that is best for you.

Best Wishes!
Titansophie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote