View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The people here on the neuropathy forum do not all read the introductions on the main page, so please repeat your symptoms here.

You have more than enough family background to suspect hereditary neuropathy assuming you have similar symptoms. Only one parent needs to be a carrier and there are 50% odds of inheriting CMT. Two of my three biological children have it. Symptoms may not show up until later in life but it can show up in childhood, mine did, as did my eldest son's. Second son developed symptoms in mid 20's. Type 2, axonal degeneration tends to show up earlier and be more disabling but this varies. Severity can vary tremendously among family members.

It is a tough hand to be dealt but there are far worse things.

It is very important that you tell your doctor about your relatives, sometimes they don't even think of CMT unless you do, and then it explains everything. For me the neuro kept saying " It looks like cmt" but because I am not in contact with my biological father's family I forgot their symptoms, but they turned out to be the missing puzzle piece.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EmilySH (03-25-2015), hopeful (03-24-2015), zkrp01 (03-24-2015)