View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Julie,

It truly is difficult to find a professional who can help. As you have realized, the neuropsych is of no help. Some are connected to rehabilitation clinics with Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Vestibular Therapy, etc. You may be able to find a Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) who has experience with PCS. You will need to call and maybe even have an assessment by a Physiatrist.

Often, the best help is finding someone who can help you learn to live with your symptoms. Fighting them causes an increase in anxiety which is counter to recovery. Learning to live with them will lower your stress and anxiety levels. A speech therapist may have some ideas for dealing with your verbal communication struggles.

I have learned I need to slow down my responses when speaking. I often even rehearse my comments so they more completely communicate my thoughts. I and many others have found we do best when we can communicate with written text. We have a chance to edit and refine our comments.

As for the sound sensitivity, there are a few different ways this manifests. Chaotic sounds can be reduced with ear plugs. I use the yellow foam cylinders. Others have used musicians custom fitted ear plugs. Conversations can be difficult when there are too many voices and especially when people are talking over each other. When we go to a restaurant, we try to find a booth in a corner or against a wall. This way, we don't get stuck in the cross talk of conversations around us.

Thirty years ago when I was suffering from depression, a psychiatrist got me started with the vitamin and supplement regimen listed in the sticky at the top. I was able to avoid meds by following the regimen. After my injury in 2001, my needs became more serious and I spent over a decade on Paxil to help with repetitive thoughts. Now, I take 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan and L-Theanine instead of the SSRI.

Many of us have found that we don't need a doctor to manage our symptoms. We just need somebody to help us learn how to manage them ourselves. Expecting a cure is expecting too much. By managing our symptoms, we can greatly reduce how they negatively impact our daily lives and move forward with our lives. I hope your psychiatrist helps you understand how you can reduce the triggers that cause your anxiety to increase. That is a key part of living with these symptoms.

My best to you.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AndromedaJulie (03-24-2015), Estreetfan (03-24-2015)