View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default New Member - Severe alcoholic neuropathy already improving

Hey everyone,

I stumbled upon this thread while researching alcoholic neuropathy, and it has been so helpful to me. Thank you so much in advance. I have found that there is little information available on alcoholic neuropathy on the internet, and the information that is available is negative, misleading, and lacks the patient's perspective. Thank you, thank you. I am looking forward to hearing your responses.

And now for my story:
Where to start. My story is actually my boyfriend's story. My boyfriend, let's call him T, is a touring musician in a popular band. He's 28, and has been living a crazy lifestyle full of reckless partying for the past 7 years since his band started playing shows. T was binge drinking HEAVILY 2-4 nights a week, and doing cocaine to boot. I have never seen someone drink as heavily as T. He could stay up all night partying, and go out to get more beer at 9 in the morning. The cocaine and the alcohol were always used in combination. Alcohol made him crave cocaine, so he would take a few bumps, and use more alcohol to calm himself down from the cocaine, and take a few more bumps for more energy, and drink more to calm down, etc etc etc until he would FINALLY pass out around 1 or 2 pm after having partied more than 12 hours straight. All the while, over the past 7 years, he has maintained a job, friendships, relationships, and family ties. I would say he was a very high functioning addict/alcoholic, and was in denial of the addiction for many, many years, until perhaps a few weeks ago.

About a year ago, T noticed that it became difficult for him to play guitar. He didn't think much of it, and continued on with his "party" lifestyle. Over the following six months, after more and more drinking and drugs, he lost the ability to play guitar completely. Not only could his fingers not push down on the fret board to make the chords, but he could not even hold a pick in his right hand. Over the last six months, while he was no longer able to play music, he continued to tour with his band and party, party, party, and he continued to get worse and worse. Slowly, over time, he has almost lost his ability to walk. He was only weeks away from a wheelchair. He could not move the joint on his left foot, the muscles in his arms and legs became tiny, he could not pick up a cup without using his forearms, couldn't tie his shoes, couldn't button his shirt, every step he took was heavy, he fell all the time, he couldn't walk more than a block without becoming exhausted, his muscles were constantly in spasm, I could go on and on.

All the while, we were scared to death he had a neurological disorder. Denial of the disease of addiction caused us to think he has ALS, or MS, or some other devastating, progressive neurological condition whose symptoms are shockingly similar to alcoholic neuropathy. We saw a neurologist, who ordered blood tests, MRI's and EKGs. After getting the results back from some testing, the neurologist said T was likely to have alcoholic neuropathy/myopathy. we are still in the process of ruling all other causes out, but he believes the root of this problem is addiction, and we do too. This revelation, along with emotional pleas from his family and friends, caused T to re-evaluate. He now (FINALLY) admits to his addiction, and has been sober from cocaine and alcohol since March 3 (3 weeks now)

Miraculously, we have already started to see some drastic improvements in the first weeks of his sobriety. We also have him on a comprehensive vitamin regimen. Just 2 weeks ago, T had to use the electric wheelchair in the grocery store. Today, his limp has visibly improved. Yesterday, we had a mini adventure and walked around downtown. I'd say we walked upwards of 2 or 3 miles, which was simply impossible and unfathomable just 2 weeks ago. I never thought he would start to improve this quickly. It is so encouraging. So far, no improvement in the hands, but we'll take whatever improvement we can get.

So, now that you know our story, I have some questions to throw out there. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated:
1. Most of my research (other than this forum) has stated that alcoholic neuropathy causes permanent damage that is not reversible. This must not be true, considering how much T has improved already. Is it possible to make a FULL recovery from alcoholic neuropathy?
2. For those of you who lost the ability to use your hands, how long did it take you to get feeling/movement back, if ever?
3. He is currently taking an intense vitamin regimen of vitamin b12 and b2, vitamin d, vitamin As, and vitamin c. I there any brand of vitamin B that anyone has used that you found has worked well in treating alcoholic neuropathy?
4. He has quit alcohol and drugs, but doesn't want to quit his band. Should he?

Thank you to everyone who participated in this forum. It is a lifesaver.
Sones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (08-03-2017)