View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always_Believe View Post
I know LL, but most providers that I have seen in the past 5 years (on both sides of the issue) do not recognize the difference. When a patient asks for pain medication, quite simply, they most often get thrown into the 'addict' side of things and get labeled a 'drug seeker'. Pain is so subjective. There are things most in the medical field confirm cause pain: broken bones, cancer, surgery, childbirth. But even then, if it's an infant "they don't feel pain". If it's soft tissue, it heals too quick to need any prescription. I was lucky with my endo pain. I had doctors who understood. Then again, I also had surgery after surgery after procedure after surgery.
When I fractured my patella, the ortho didn't give me anything. I didn't ask. My second ortho was informed on my initial visit that I would not endure PT without pain management. He obliged. I've been without MD's/PT's/pain medication since September. I'm grumpy. I'm irritable. I'm depressed. I can't sleep well. I can't perform normal daily functions. I can't do anything physical to lose this damn 35 pounds I've gained. I can't focus. I'm in pain. And I feel like I can't ask any of my current doctors to do anything about it because the one I did (my PCP) informed me she doesn't prescribe narcotics - ok, great, no problem, how about some lidoderm patches? How about a PM referral? Her response is to try to keep increasing the gaba. Slowly. And maybe, someday, when the wind is blowing the right way she will refer me to PM. Until then, I'm in pain.
And I refer you to the McGill Pain Scale:

http://www.rsdhope.org/mcgill-pain-i...in-ranked.html

My RSD/CRPS pain is MUCH worse than the post surgical pain I've had.

"I'm grumpy. I'm irritable. I'm depressed. I can't sleep well. I can't perform normal daily functions. I can't do anything physical to lose this damn 35 pounds I've gained. I can't focus. I'm in pain."

THESE ARE THE REAL ISSUES. ^
Worrying about what your family thinks, let alone some random health care provider, is just a distraction.

To not allow you Lidocaine patches is frankly silly. They provide temporary relief and are not going to interfere with tracking your results from the gaba. They certainly won't get you labeled as a drug seeker. --It will take several months at a minimum to adequately test out various meds. That doesn't mean your doc should allow you to hit rock bottom in the meantime! Prescription strength melatonin will deal with the insomnia. Sending you to a pain psych doc so you can learn to breath and meditate will help. Finding a warm water pool for you to rehab in. Those are a few examples of things your doc should be suggesting.

It might be difficult for you to find a more experienced RSD/CRPS with your insurance options, but you might not have a choice.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote