View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Here is a photo of a pigmy shrew caught by Weezie last summer.
It was carrying a slug, in the early damp morning. So I have both slug and shrew in the same photo. They are really really fast too... sometimes all you see is an impression that something moved past your foot!

I think the shrew was stunned...because it disappeared right after this photo.

Our nature book says shrews are not eaten by other mammals as their flesh is "rank" as it was stated. But I can see predator birds gulping them down whole.
They have teensy eyes (mice and voles have large eyes), and pointy snouts, and they do not have incisor teeth like rodents. Just little pointy teeth, that the Vet up there says has terrible germs in the saliva, so if a cat is bitten, they get typically infected. Weezie's bite was initally thought to be a shrew but I now think it was one of those least weasels... as we have those too.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 07-06-2015 at 02:14 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-25-2015)