View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 04:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

From Always Believe "I've been without MD's/PT's/pain medication since September. I'm grumpy. I'm irritable. I'm depressed. I can't sleep well. I can't perform normal daily functions. I can't do anything physical to lose this damn 35 pounds I've gained. I can't focus. I'm in pain. And I feel like I can't ask any of my current doctors to do anything about it because the one I did (my PCP) informed me she doesn't prescribe narcotics - ok, great, no problem, how about some lidoderm patches? How about a PM referral? Her response is to try to keep increasing the gaba. Slowly. And maybe, someday, when the wind is blowing the right way she will refer me to PM. Until then, I'm in pain."[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Reading this now I am sorry I skimmed past this post and responded to an earlier one. Aaack! I would've said something. My only is excuse is that yesterday I was focused on prep to go to Houston and getting my son squared away beforehand. Today was hopefully my last injection set to hydrodissect scar tissue in my ankle. So not fun....

It is no wonder you are grumpy, irritable, depressed. I am irritable for you and the delay in referral. Would your PCP maybe be more amenable to a referral for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation? These guys are used to debilitation and pain. Some of them do a fair amount of pain management. I'm thinking maybe with the functional limitations and PT the PCP might go this route and it would at least be something.

I think more and more the pool would be so good for you. It might be worth a call to the Y to see if anyone in your area goes in on a regular basis. Also some of the churches have volunteers who drive people for appointments and such. There may be some kind soul willing to help out. I know an avid swimmer who lives 45 minutes from a community center with a pool who makes the drive routinely. She is a retired cop and wouldn't hesitate to give someone a ride when she goes.

Lastly, I know I said it before but I'm gonna say it again. Think about Mayo. It's in striking distance, they love changing people's lives and they do 100% write off depending on income level. They have pain, ortho, PM&R, the whole shebang. You could get that whole multidisciplinary thing going. I am sure they have a place people can stay that is underwritten by their foundation. Stanford does, Seton in Austin does, regardless of what hospital you go to in Austin. What have you got to lose? Call and talk to someone at their concierge office or bug a social worker. A hospital social worker will know how to get you set up. If they don't know they will find out. It's what we live for.

I am sending Healing Love and prayers for rest and restoration.
Littlepaw

Last edited by Littlepaw; 03-25-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote