View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Between a rock and a hard place...

Wondering how many of you have had problems with being in between doctors? My doctor told me in January that he wasn't able to treat me any longer because he doesn't see that many patients and the few that he does see are in their functional restoration program. (Would have been nice to know this before deciding to see him a year ago) He then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't find a new doctor, he was going to reduce my medications. Wow. Could he be any more negative? I was ready to find a new doctor anyway because he was always telling odd stories that made me question his professionalism, he asked a lot of personal questions and constantly bugged me about going to his stupid restoration programs.

I researched a new doctor, advised my attorney, who then advised my adjuster of who my new doctor choice was. In early February I needed to refill my medications and had to bite the bullet and schedule another appointment with my outgoing doctor because my new doctor hadn't received the authorization yet. This is where all hell breaks loose. Outgoing doctor was mad that I was there and said some pretty crappy things. He accused me of not doing anything to find a new doctor. I phoned my attorney while in the exam room and left a message. The doctor had someone call my adjuster to see if I was telling the truth and the adjuster said she didn't have anything from my attorney requesting a new doctor. Actually, she received it 6 days prior and it was in her inbox. I later had the hard copy which I wish I had at the time. I found it interesting that when my attorney calls my adjuster, it takes three or four tries to get her, but when the doctor's office calls, they answer right away. Interesting. Now an argument breaks out in the doctors office between me and the doctor after he said "I am going to be really mean, I am going to renew your patches but I am not going to renew your norco"

I wear 2 75mcg duragesic patches every 3 days for a total of 150mcg, and take 2 norco every day if I have breakthrough pain. Also, take cymbalta and prilosec. I told him I felt tricked that he said he would fill my prescriptions and then I get there and he not only accuses me of lying, but I am receiving a punishment for someone else screwing up the authorization to see a new doctor? Why would I want to continue to see him?

His response "I am giving you 90% of what you want. I have discharged you from my care. My obligation to you is terminated. You do understand that, don't you? If I was mean, I would say you go take care of this and get your medications from the emergency room. So I really don't appreciate this attitude toward me. I really don't. And if I hear anything more about you, I will file a treatment plan with the workers comp board which will be terrible, which will screw things up with your insurance company, so don't irritate me. OK? Seriously. Don't threaten me with I want this and I want that."

I told the doctor that it is up to my new doctor to change my medications and not the outgoing doctor, especially when there isn't anyone to monitor how I am feeling. I said that all he was doing was making himself feel better because I was going to have my new doctor put back my medication that I have been using for the last several years. And did he just threaten to screw up everything that I have just pushed for all these years with workers comp?
His response was "Your not pushing for anything except more dope"

I told him that since 1996 when I was diagnosed with CRPS in my foot, I have never failed a drug screen, lost medications, and am very careful to follow the pain contracts that I sign and that I was quite insulted by his comments. Not that he cared. I ended up with my 90% script and left. I wrote a letter to my attorney that evening about the experience. My attorney said that my doctor clearly has a serious character flaw. Since February 10th when that happened, I have been sorting out the authorization and getting records sent to the new doctor.

I finally received the call from the new doctor to schedule an appointment. April 14th is the soonest they can see me. Holy crap. Now I am wearing my last two patches. I have purposely made them last longer than they should have. It has been very hard on me because we have been moving from one house to another which has caused my foot and lower back to be in more pain. My daughter had surgery recently on GERD and I am having to help her as well. How I am supposed to go from the 25th of March to the 14th of April without any medication? I called crazy doctor today and they aren't calling me back with an answer. Crazy doctors assistant said that he wasn't my doctor anymore. New doctor said that they can't see me until the 14th. Seriously? Am I supposed to just walk into an emergency room and get my meds? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by bunnehead; 03-25-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: medication name incorrect
bunnehead is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Enna70 (03-27-2015)