View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi s4d1984,

This pain is beyond expected from a wisdom tooth extraction, even an impacted one. You need to see the oral surgeon who removed the tooth because he is the one who knows what took place during the extraction and it should all be recorded in his notes.

Sometimes there are some difficult tooth extractions that do involve certain nerves and most of the time the nerves calm down and the pain subsides. However, every case is different and the pain can sometimes linger or become sporadic over the course of weeks, months, even years. So is it best to see the oral surgeon and let him evaluate the situation as it is right now so he can make an assessment of what is going on and try to help you.

It is important that you be very specific with the type, degree, location and duration of the pain. Do not expect the oral surgeon to know any of those things based on looking at you.

Please check in with us to let us know how you are doing.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4d1984 View Post
Hello,

I am new here, found this forum while googling about my wisdom tooth issue and I am absolutely desperate for some advice.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth (which was impacted) extracted 6 days ago and I was told the extraction was very difficult (I was sedated and thankfully don't remember anything about it). I have been in excruciating pain ever since.

I was given antibiotics which I have taken religiously. I have been back to the dentist twice since as I can't bear the pain and my face/mouth/lips/chin are still completely numb. The first time I went I was given some prescription painkillers (30mg codeine) which are not even beginning to touch the pain. The second time I was given stronger antibiotics, even though they said there are no obvious signs of infection.

I am really worried that there has been some nerve damage, obviously due to the numbness but also the pain I have does not seem to be coming from the extraction site. It is an extreme sensitive pain in my lower teeth, radiating throughout my whole jaw, under my eye and up to my ear and temple. I have never felt anything like it and I am close to going mad, I literally do not know what else I can do.

I went back to my usual dentist today (was referred somewhere else for the extraction), who looked at it and said there is nothing else she can do for me, I just need to be patient and see her again in a couple of days if there is no improvement. No one seems concerned that I am still numb or that I have burning/icy sensations in my face, paralysing pain and my teeth feel like icy drills drilling right down to my jaw bone. I was so close to going to A&E last night (ER as you call it in the US), my family still think I should do so but I feel bad doing this when the dentists I have seen don't seem too concerned. I do feel that they don't seem to understand the level of the pain I am in, surely there should be some kind of relief after 6 days??!!

If anyone can offer any advice or reassurance from previous experiences they have had I would be so grateful xx

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote