View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 10:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I had a very similar problem about a year ago. I had been seeing a pain clinic for over a year. Never failed a drug screen (they tested every visit even if it was a week later), never need a script early, brought my pills in for a "pill count" when asked. You get it- no issues with pain meds.

The pain clinic said that if I wanted to continue with them I had to see a counselor. I had no issue with that, but I'm on Worker's Comp so I can't just make an appointment. My WC adjuster kept denying me a counseling appointment. We finally went to court and got a "counseling evaluation" approved. I went to my normal appointment and told them I had an evaluation scheduled with a counselor in two weeks (the first available appointment). Then I would have to go back through the WC system to get subsequent appointments approved. The NP at the pain clinic wasn't sure if that was good enough. She only gave me a 5 day script for the two meds I was on and said she would discuss my case at their WC patient meeting on Monday and get back to me. On Monday I got a phone call saying I was terminated from their practice for lack of compliance with seeing a counselor. She gave me a number of an inpatient detox center saying if I couldn't find someone else to prescribe for me by the time my RX ran out in 5 days that I
would have to go to detox (even though she admitted that substance abuse was not an issue for me). I called the detox center and they said I didn't qualify because it would be "unethical" to detox someone with CRPS without a pain treatment plan.

I then called my PCP (who is an NP). She saw me within a few days and has been prescribing for me ever since. I do see a pain management doctor now for lidocaine infusions. He doesn't write my scripts, just puts in his notes that he agrees with my PCP's treatment plan. He's also there to advise if I need to tweak meds, but I see my PCP monthly to write the script.

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I never admitted to anyone that I was discharged from a pain clinic because I was so embarassed. My primary has been very supportive. Going to the ER for your scripts may not be an option- they often won't write narcotics for chronic pain.

Good luck.
gigicnm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote