View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Completely up to you

Aezaidan

Sorry you had this diagnosis. And you raise some valid points, questions, fears. First I will say, it's not easy, and it is life changing, but it can and if you have a good doctor, get better! If you have a doctor who knows how to treat Crps, it can get better. It's different for everyone but I spent two months in a wheelchair. It can be very painful, extremely at times, to walk. I just work through it as best I can and am very grateful that I can walk most days. The first year of having this,to me, was the worst. Your body and mind aren't used to the pain. It's not like you can ever "ignore" it or unless you can beat it into remission,which IS possible, but you learn to live with it.

As far as the Facebook post. Well. Those comments you don't want to hear, you end up hearing all the time. Unless they really research Crps, or your close family goes to the doctor appointments with you, even then it's very hard for family and friends to understand what it means to have Crps.
For myself I'm very open and forward whether it's on Facebook or in person. I think that the more people hear, and then wonder and try to find out what Crps is, the better. Part of the reason doctors don't know why this condition starts, in my mind, is because it was so unknown, it wasn't researched! It's only been within the last 20 years that any REAL research and NEW studies have been done since the turn of the century! If you tried to find medical studies or papers written on Crps before the 1990's ...they are VERY few and far between!

But this isn't about what I feel. It's about YOU and if you're ready to do that, and if you are, if you're prepared to answer all the questions. Because there will be a lot. Lol. Hecht I had never heard of Crps before I was diagnosed! You have to realize that the people who say things like"don't worry it will get better soon" or "hang in there" or the worst are the "walk it off" type sayings. You know the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" type who think it's just something you can take a pill for and go to work full time in any type of physical job for the most part. For myself, except in my legs and feet, I don't "look" like I should be in "so much" pain. It's the people who don't believe you can be hurting as bad as you say, that drove me nuts in the beginning! There are people like that sometimes unfortunately!
For the most part, it's usually just loved ones who want to be encouraging and maybe just don't know what to say, so they just say the type of things you do to people struggling with a serious medical condition. They come from a good place, and say it all wrong...lol ok.

In the end it's entirely up to you! Just know that whenever you need UNDERSTAND....this is the place to come!! Chances are that someone here has gone through something nearly the same!!

If you ever need a "shoulder" let me know
Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aezaidan View Post
Just yesterday I was diagnosed with RSD/CRPS. It has been 3 months since I have been able to walk and I have been going through test after test after test. People on fb have been asking about my progress and if any diagnosis has been made, but I'm struggling with whether or not to tell people about it... it is such a scary sounding diagnosis (and, to be honest, I am terrified but I'm trying to stay positive about the outcome possibilities.) I guess I just don't want to sound too dire or have people think I'm trolling for sympathy, but I do want people to know what's going on and why I'm still not walking. It's getting annoying to tell people one and a time and I still haven't really found a way of wording it that makes any sense. Also, if I'm really being honest, I don't want to tell people because it's equally annoying to hear "Omg, I'm so sorry, that's awful" or "I'm sure it will be fine." I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed and I just can't decide what to do. Thoughts???
CRPSsongbird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aezaidan (03-30-2015), Littlepaw (03-28-2015)