View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Bruins -

I just read back more thoroughly - the descriptions you gave of the episodes you've had that I think you said your wife has seen?

Here's what I know:
Pelvic thrusting, raising legs in the air and "bicycling," and manipulation of genitals are common semiologies of frontal lobe seizures. Pretty much exclusively. Frontal lobe seizures often include hand or mouth automatisms (like picking at a button, or two fingers working on each other). I think you said you had a tbi? Where is the injury located? TBI's can definitely cause seizures.

Bad smells are called olfactory seizures and generally come from around the uncus - which is too deep to be picked up by surface electrodes. As others have said, these kind of sensory symptoms (can include bad taste as well) are simple partial. Taste (gustatory seizures) are usually described as metallic. Olfactory seizures are usually described as like a skunk, dead body, burning rubber. I've never heard of it being a pleasant smell. There is a unique seizure type called Gelastic seizures that comes from the hypothalamus, usually due to a hamartoma, and the seizure semiology is laughter. This usually shows up in early childhood.

Most important thing for you to know is that a normal EEG does NOT RULE OUT EPILEPSY!!
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote