View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
You may not think you have any caffeine sensitivity but you may be causing brain fatigue. Caffeine is an excito-toxin. It stimulates the brain cells to fatigue or even death. You should limit your caffeine to one serving per day or less.
Caffeine is an adenosine receptor antagonist - it prevents adenosine from slowing down neurons. Why is it excito-toxic to the brain?

I was under the impression that excito-toxins are neurotransmitters like Glutamate, which can allow a massive influx of Calcium Ions to the nerve cell and therefore excite them to death. Does Caffeine do anything similar to that in high doses?

And yes, Glutamate is a neurotransmitter and an excito-toxin. Any substance that enhances its release is toxic to the brain. Does Caffeine affect Glutamate release?

Concussions:

27 October 2014 - I accidentally smashed my head against a concrete wall while I was running (it was a slow run of about 3 meters / second).
No LOC.

6 November 2014 - In a sports field, A basketball ball fell on my head from about 5 meters height.

January 2, 2016 update: I am very optimistic, as I've made a significant recovery until now (2-Jan-2016). I am confident that my situation will keep improving.
ProAgonist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote