View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi annanut,

Thank you for posting the picture.

Yes, it appears that you have an infection. Based on your description of the history of these teeth, the infection that was brewing in your jaw bone was severe. Therefore, removing the teeth was the first step in a process of removing the infection and healing. The jaw bone area needed to be thoroughly debrided of all visibly diseased tissue and bone once the teeth were removed. The bone graft should have only been placed if after the debridement the existing bone was found to be healthy. Otherwise, the sites should have been debrided, irrigated with saline, sutured and left to heal for a few weeks or so before a second surgery was done to place graft material.

When a surgical site of an infected root canaled tooth is not thoroughly debrided and the bone graft is placed too soon, the infectious bacteria still residing in the jaw bone and tissue will take over the graft and the infection will become more virulent. This may be what is happening with your case.

Did you see a general dentist or an oral surgeon for the extractions?
FYI... Your oral surgery should have been done by an oral surgeon due to the longevity and severity of the infection because these are the dentists who are the most knowledgeable and experienced in dealing with cases such as yours. If you went to a general dentist for the extractions, it is still best to see an oral surgeon for the existing situation. If you choose to see the oral surgeon, it is important to bring your pre operative xrays to that appointment.

I'm sorry you are enduring such pain and complications. I really hope you get the proper help you need to take care of this. Please keep us posted.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by annanut View Post
Hello Hive,
I'm not sure how to navigate this forum well yet, but I've read quite a few threads with Bryanna and hope she catches this!

So,I am experiencing significant pain 5 days after extraction. Much more than the couple days after!

I got two back lower molars extracted last Tuesday. They were both root canal teeth, and there was infection in the jaw bone. I was assured that they would thoroughly clean / deride the area before placing the bone graft, which they did in the same appointment.

On day three, my stitches failed and sort of "caved INTO the void" of where my teeth were. The next day, the large 'double wide' gap opened, and I'm not sure if stitches are still in there or not. I've been doing the salt water rinses etc and following protocol to a T this whole time.

I also put a dental mirror in there (without stretching anything-no worries) and noticed that there was also a wide open deep deep cut along my last existing tooth on that side, and it seems that that tooth might well be pretty exposed. I have a picture but not sure I can post. The gums (which are basically a giant pocket) are very red, and separated. I'm sure I've lost some bone graft matieral- as there had been a bunch of stuff pack in the void which is no longer there. One of the teeth he extracted he said was very difficult and complications were had. A endo a long time ago 'buried' a broken file in my root. That made for removal chalgnes.

This of course all happened over a weekend. I'm heading in tomorrow, but I'd love a bit of perspective before I go.

It hurts like, nervy pain. Like sort of dry socket (which I've had before) but then there is also a pain radiating up my ear, and I swear I feel a bit of numbness on that side of my tongue - is that weird? IT's throbbing. Also the gums are extremely red and raw- and feel warm. So - I am worried about infection . I don't do well with antibiotics- meaning, I've been taking them as prescribed but they mess up my gut - even with probiotics. I now feel sinus running and sore throat… which also makes me thing maybe infection. Would 6 days be enough for bone graft to reject itself/infection to show up? or is it maybe just dry socket? I don't have a fever though the site feels hot. Maybe just because it's angry and inflamed?

I do have immune system issues, I was actually hoping that maybe ridding my body of this long time low grade infection in my jaw would HELP. So far… not so much.
VERY grateful for any comment!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote