View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

The positive effect of sunshine and a little exercise shouldn't not be ignored, either. Even a short walk or a short swim in a warm pool can release much needed endorphins. Yoga, Tai Chi or meditating can all help.

We also need to touch and be touched, which can be really difficult if you're hypersensitive. Massage can be a great stress reliever. If you don't have a human to snuggle with, a pet can often be a great substitute. (hint: French bulldogs work the best.)

All these chemical imbalances in our limbic system that account for depression and insomnia are to be expected, but I think they're also exacerbated by some of the lifestyle choices that are so easy for us to fall into.

As far as sleep goes, I responded really well to prescription melatonin and even to music programmed to encourage sleep. Even taking a warm bath with Epsom Salts can help greatly. --If you're in high levels of pain and haven't developed strategies or have meds to reduce your pain levels to a reasonable level--that should probably be your first priority.

When I was at my lowest point many years ago and insomnia was a major issue, I too worked with a pain psych doc at the time to help give me some coping strategies as well. My best explanation was that my body was in flight or fight mode almost continually and so I'm sure my body was being flooded with even greater amounts of hormones at the time. Even learning to just stop, close my eyes, and breath deeply was life changing at the time.

(I often feel like my advice is repetitive, so I apologize in advance to anyone that thinks I sound like a broken record. )
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Enna70 (03-31-2015), Littlepaw (03-30-2015), visioniosiv (03-31-2015)