View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I agree.
I thought I had found a real bio dentist, but I agree that knowing about root canal (being instant beginnings of infection -I have read the research/price/etc) is not consistent with a try biological dentist. he is a "DDS" but performs many surgeries and has for many years. Supposedly this is a specialty. That's the only reason I'd drive 2.5 hours forhtis, knowing that follow ups and so forth would be challenging. I value my health above all else!!! But… this I think is proving to be a waste anyway. SO disappointed. I have so many other health issues that I was really hoping this would go smoothly AND that getting rid of long low grade infection would possibly eliminate some of my immune/ health issues .

I also found it odd that he was not understanding the pain associated with the exposed tooth. I too understand why he exposed it, but not why he isn't concerned that it's a widening gap, and hurting immensely! To 'not know' why I'm feeling extreme pain when I myself, not being an expert or having the best view has a pretty good idea seems not good.

I just picked up scripts for stronger antibiotics which I guess I'll start in the morning - but I think I will also try to get a second opinion locally about all this too. I know locally they won't be a bio dentist/surgeon, but sounds like this guy probably isn't either. He spoke a lot about holistic health etc. but I still felt like in the end I knew more than him just from researching on my own so maybe he's just sort of a "line feeder' about it and it's a marketing thing.

I went to another bio dentist - they only other in driving distance and I merely had mercury extractions and it was SO terrible a job that I couldn't go back. I was scheduled with the newest staff member, and by new I think… not yet versed in how to do a filling. They then scheduled me for that person for the double extraction! So I had to run!

Well, back to traditional I guess. I will hope it goes well. At this point it's not about mercury sensitivity (which I have, swell as nervous system issues etc…) but more about infection and healing. I can only hope a traditional oral surgeon is well versed in that.

I'll try to get into someone in the next few days for a second opinion and will let you know how it goes. I am going broke, but want to resolve this fast.

I am worried the antibiotic will put off the inevitable (infected bone graft) but it sounds like there is no way to know unless it totally fails and infection reigns.

Question: Should I NOT take the new stronger antibiotics and see if the infection reigns to prove there is one? OR should I take it and really try to battle any existing infection… meaning - will antibiotics actually have effect on a bone graft infection? or is it possible the infection is only in the gums and the antibiotic can help eradicate it?

I am not sure how to proceeded in the time between seeing another doc for 2nd opinion. (and I know drs don't like jumping into th emiddle of another persons work either, but I'm hopeful they'll at least look).

thanks again. I'm hoping I won't bug you with more questions!!! You have been SO helpful I really appreciate a second opinion!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi annanut,

Is the biological dentist specifically an oral surgeon or is he a general dentist who does extractions? There is a difference in their education, their knowledge and their experience.

Also, some dentists will call themselves holistic or biological and still condone root canal therapy. When a dental professional makes the effort to learn above and beyond their traditional dental school curriculum and delves into whole body (holistic or biological) dentistry, a major aspect of that education includes the indisputable facts about the systemic risks and short comings of root canal therapy. For that individual to then turn around and perform the root canal procedure is a strong contradiction of the additional education that they have elected to learn. Unfortunately, there are plenty of dentists who market themselves as holistic or biological and are truly not much different than a traditional dentist. I think you may have stumbled upon one of those dentists.

Once a bone graft material is placed in a tooth socket, it is not held in the socket by anything other than the blood clot and possibly a collagen plug or membrane. In my professional experience as an oral surgery chair side assistant, during the early stage of healing, it is never wise to put anything into that socket or irrigate that socket with anything as it can cause bacteria to be pushed into the graft material. I am confused as to what he has done and why he has done it. So I cannot really comment on what he hopes to achieve.

The xray may have shown some of the graft still being present. Which would be a good sign if you were not experiencing so many symptoms. Also the slice of gum tissue that you write about exposing the other tooth... this sounds to me like he made a deliberate incision to gain more access to the bone so he could remove the tooth next to this one. This is commonly done. However, that slice of tissue should be coming together at this point, not getting wider. It sounds like their is so much inflammation that the incision cannot close. Also, I would think that you would have pain in that area when you drank something because the opening of that incision exposes the root of that tooth. I am puzzled as to why he did not explain that to you.

I can only offer you the information that I have and not really anything further because it sounds like it is getting worse not better and it seems like he is basically dismissing the obvious irritation, etc. I think the surgical areas should be evaluated by an oral surgeon, not another general dentist.

Bryanna

\
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
annanut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote