View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

SXFemale1,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of the struggles you are going through.

I can help you understand this a bit better. I'm surprised Jay did not help you more. Yes, this is classic Post Concussion Syndrome. It is not uncommon to have flat affect. It takes a lot of work to work through the issues of flat affect. When your hubby says he does not love you, it can be completely because he has severe flat affect and has lost the emotional sensations common to love. The fact that once apart, he has expressed his love supports this. He recognized a sort of habituation of love. He can recognize the desire to be with you because being with you provides other sensations.

Loneliness can be a non-emotional feeling. Sort of a 'this does not feel right but I do not understand why.'

I say this because I have lived with this for years. With it can be anhedonia, a lack of ability to sense pleasure. The two can lead to a miserable existence.

I would encourage you to do two things.
Get him started on a brain health nutrition regimen like posted in the Vitamins sticky at the top. The first post has a link to the updated info at post #101. It is not a quick fix but can help with some issues over the long term.
Next, try to find a counselor who understands PCS, anhedonia, and flat affect.

If a counselor can help him understand that these symptoms are due to his injury and not a part of who he is, it may help him learn to accommodate them in ways that do not have such a negative effect on others. The outbursts, biting criticism and such can also be reduced.

He likely has other struggles that you are not aware of. Cognitive struggles are often internalized but can be very frustrating. Struggles processing conversations can also be a problem leading to verbal 'issues.' His world may have become very black and white with struggles to see anything in the grey areas.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

My best to you.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-31-2015)