View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi annanut,

A DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) or DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) degree is not an oral surgeon degree. Both degrees indicate someone has graduated from a dental school as a general dentist. They both mean the same thing just different schools give out one or the other. An oral surgeon continues in school for another 3-6 years in the oral surgery curriculum and then usually does a couple of years interning as an oral surgeon before they go out on their own. If they go the six years they often earn a medical degree and have MD as well as the DDS or DMD.

The dentist that extracted your teeth, may advertise that he performs oral surgery (without a specialty license number) but may not actually be an oral surgeon. He may have taken some additional courses or studied under another dentist who teaches specific oral surgery techniques. Neither of which make him an oral surgeon.

In my lengthy career, I have worked with or known of a handful of general dentists who were excellent with oral surgery. But in my professional opinion, that is a rare find amongst the general dentist population.

Also I just want to make clear that I am a huge advocate for Biological dentistry much more so than traditional dentistry. I worked in that field for many years with 3 very knowledgeable and highly skilled dentists. That is the dental field that I personally use. But there are good and not so good in every profession. So please don't become discouraged about the Biological field because of this dental group that you have been associated with.

Regarding the use of antibiotics... these meds are only meant to be taken when absolutely necessary. They should not be prescribed or taken carelessly as they can wreak havoc on your immune system. Anyone in a compromised state of health, needs to be certain that they require any medication, including antibiotics, before taking them. In your case, you still don't know if or what is infected which means that depending on that diagnosis, oral antibiotics may or may not be necessary or they may not be efficient in eradicating the infection. You stated that you have a negative intestinal reaction to antibiotics in spite of taking a probiotic which means that your gut flora is already unbalanced. Therefore, an oral antibiotic can actually cause an intestinal infection. So in my opinion it is imperative to find out what is going on with your mouth before you embark on another round of antibiotics.

Re the probiotics..... you may have to change the probiotics you are taking and take more of it for several weeks and then taper down to the recommended dosage indefinitely. Most people require a probiotic supplement every day of their life. It actually helps to continuously replenish the good bacteria that is lost to chronic of acute illness, stress and poor eating habits.

What probiotic are you taking?

Also, if you are comfortable in sending me a personal message as to your location.... does not need to be exact just in the vicinity of where you will travel to for a dentist... and also give me the dentist name of who you have seen so I can look into what he really does ... I may be able to do some research for you and find someone for you to try.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by annanut View Post
I agree.
I thought I had found a real bio dentist, but I agree that knowing about root canal (being instant beginnings of infection -I have read the research/price/etc) is not consistent with a try biological dentist. he is a "DDS" but performs many surgeries and has for many years. Supposedly this is a specialty. That's the only reason I'd drive 2.5 hours forhtis, knowing that follow ups and so forth would be challenging. I value my health above all else!!! But… this I think is proving to be a waste anyway. SO disappointed. I have so many other health issues that I was really hoping this would go smoothly AND that getting rid of long low grade infection would possibly eliminate some of my immune/ health issues .

I also found it odd that he was not understanding the pain associated with the exposed tooth. I too understand why he exposed it, but not why he isn't concerned that it's a widening gap, and hurting immensely! To 'not know' why I'm feeling extreme pain when I myself, not being an expert or having the best view has a pretty good idea seems not good.

I just picked up scripts for stronger antibiotics which I guess I'll start in the morning - but I think I will also try to get a second opinion locally about all this too. I know locally they won't be a bio dentist/surgeon, but sounds like this guy probably isn't either. He spoke a lot about holistic health etc. but I still felt like in the end I knew more than him just from researching on my own so maybe he's just sort of a "line feeder' about it and it's a marketing thing.

I went to another bio dentist - they only other in driving distance and I merely had mercury extractions and it was SO terrible a job that I couldn't go back. I was scheduled with the newest staff member, and by new I think… not yet versed in how to do a filling. They then scheduled me for that person for the double extraction! So I had to run!

Well, back to traditional I guess. I will hope it goes well. At this point it's not about mercury sensitivity (which I have, swell as nervous system issues etc…) but more about infection and healing. I can only hope a traditional oral surgeon is well versed in that.

I'll try to get into someone in the next few days for a second opinion and will let you know how it goes. I am going broke, but want to resolve this fast.

I am worried the antibiotic will put off the inevitable (infected bone graft) but it sounds like there is no way to know unless it totally fails and infection reigns.

Question: Should I NOT take the new stronger antibiotics and see if the infection reigns to prove there is one? OR should I take it and really try to battle any existing infection… meaning - will antibiotics actually have effect on a bone graft infection? or is it possible the infection is only in the gums and the antibiotic can help eradicate it?

I am not sure how to proceeded in the time between seeing another doc for 2nd opinion. (and I know drs don't like jumping into th emiddle of another persons work either, but I'm hopeful they'll at least look).

thanks again. I'm hoping I won't bug you with more questions!!! You have been SO helpful I really appreciate a second opinion!!!

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote