View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks Bryanna for describing the difference in degrees. I will PM you (when I get on my computer-little confusing on here via phone!)

I am calling around today to see if I can get into a surgeon locally just to look at this. Im not sure what is the right/wrong thing to do from there. Just like another pair of eyes on it.

I wont start new antibiotics yet. All the reasons you embtion is why I hesitate. I rately ever take them/it been 10 years or so, but figured this was a worthy cause to prvent infection. But dont like the idea of more stronger ones unless the source of infection is ID'd, (and treated as needed first other than antibiotics if possible!)

I am not down on Bio dentistry....but this is an i dication we need BETTER and MORE of it. I cant find anyone else even within a very long drive. :-( which doesnt make the most sense if I need followup care. I feel like I need a person local and maybe a bio far away. I even thought about going to Nunnaly in TX for vacation and having work done!

had one last question. Since the "extra" bone graft fluff that was to the gills previously is gone, and gums are open... Will whatever I eat and srink just get absorbed into the graft (and real bone?) like there is no barrier at all. The hole is deep and while the graft still
Looked i tact on Xray, who knows if its going to be full of chicken soup? I only see white inside the "void" no blood clot etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi annanut,

A DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) or DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) degree is not an oral surgeon degree. Both degrees indicate someone has graduated from a dental school as a general dentist. They both mean the same thing just different schools give out one or the other. An oral surgeon continues in school for another 3-6 years in the oral surgery curriculum and then usually does a couple of years interning as an oral surgeon before they go out on their own. If they go the six years they often earn a medical degree and have MD as well as the DDS or DMD.

The dentist that extracted your teeth, may advertise that he performs oral surgery (without a specialty license number) but may not actually be an oral surgeon. He may have taken some additional courses or studied under another dentist who teaches specific oral surgery techniques. Neither of which make him an oral surgeon.

In my lengthy career, I have worked with or known of a handful of general dentists who were excellent with oral surgery. But in my professional opinion, that is a rare find amongst the general dentist population.

Also I just want to make clear that I am a huge advocate for Biological dentistry much more so than traditional dentistry. I worked in that field for many years with 3 very knowledgeable and highly skilled dentists. That is the dental field that I personally use. But there are good and not so good in every profession. So please don't become discouraged about the Biological field because of this dental group that you have been associated with.

Regarding the use of antibiotics... these meds are only meant to be taken when absolutely necessary. They should not be prescribed or taken carelessly as they can wreak havoc on your immune system. Anyone in a compromised state of health, needs to be certain that they require any medication, including antibiotics, before taking them. In your case, you still don't know if or what is infected which means that depending on that diagnosis, oral antibiotics may or may not be necessary or they may not be efficient in eradicating the infection. You stated that you have a negative intestinal reaction to antibiotics in spite of taking a probiotic which means that your gut flora is already unbalanced. Therefore, an oral antibiotic can actually cause an intestinal infection. So in my opinion it is imperative to find out what is going on with your mouth before you embark on another round of antibiotics.

Re the probiotics..... you may have to change the probiotics you are taking and take more of it for several weeks and then taper down to the recommended dosage indefinitely. Most people require a probiotic supplement every day of their life. It actually helps to continuously replenish the good bacteria that is lost to chronic of acute illness, stress and poor eating habits.

What probiotic are you taking?

Also, if you are comfortable in sending me a personal message as to your location.... does not need to be exact just in the vicinity of where you will travel to for a dentist... and also give me the dentist name of who you have seen so I can look into what he really does ... I may be able to do some research for you and find someone for you to try.

Bryanna

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
annanut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote