View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm resurrecting this thread as I continue to search for answers.

I haven't been right since I took iron supplements in August of 2013. Without going into details, all hell broke loose in my body. I had various symptoms on and off immediately after that until full blown SFN reared its ugly head in early November.

I took iron supplements because I turned up with low ferritin (iron stores) in my annual physical. I'd been having symptoms, but didn't realize what it was. I'm sure the low ferritin was the result of a double red blood donation in March that I didn't recover from.

I of course stopped being a regular blood donor once that happened, and then my serum iron levels spiked high in my last annual physical. I'm a carrier of hemochromatosis, and apparently it's not uncommon to for us to run high. I immediately went out and donated blood again...no double reds, just a regular pint.

For those who don't know, hemochromatosis is the most inherited genetic disease in humans. It's not at all uncommon.

So I'm throwing this out there because I just read this:

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/ar...emochromatosis

"We conclude that an idiopathic polyneuropathy was diagnosed in a relative large number of patients with HH (26%), but the causal relationship needs to be confirmed in larger series."

I'm going to continue to look into it and see if any further studies have been done.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (04-01-2015)