View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Swimtime,

I am sorry to hear your son is struggling so. Cortisone shots can be helpful or harmful depending on why and how they are done. I would ask the PT what exactly it is they want to achieve with this. Are they wanting him to have a systemic steroid on board? This can be good in early stages but Oral burst steroids are commonly used. Do they think scar tissue is a problem and wanting the "side effect" of atrophy to shrink it down? Or are thinking of something more like a peripheral block to the nerve to calm it down?

Steroid shots to shrink scar tissue or to calm sensitive scars can be beneficial as can peripheral blocks to calm the nerve. Both of these MUST be done with ultrasound guidance. Do NOT allow anyone to shoot blind in there no matter how many times they've done it. The neurovascular structures are very vulnerable in the foot and ankle and your son has structural changes from surgery. The PM should be able to handle the block but shots to ligamentous areas like the plantar fascia should be undertaken by someone familiar with the foot and the ways to do these injections to minimize side effects such as increased chance of rupture. I have had positive effects in scar tissue and pain reduction from well placed and cautiously administered steroid injections in the CRPS area but I have a PM&R whiz kid doc with loads of ultrasound training.
There are risks involved but those can be minimized with a competent practitioner. Ultimately the decision for or against is highly personal and highly dependent on the reasoning for the injections.

Feel free to PM me. I can give you specifics about where,how,why if that would be helpful.

Sending Healing Love,
Littlepaw

Last edited by Littlepaw; 04-01-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Addition
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catra121 (04-01-2015), Enna70 (04-01-2015), swimtime (04-05-2015)