View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Question Fun & games in my spine again

Hi all,

I have L5-L6 and L6-S1 fusions (I have an extra lumbar vertabrae) performed seperately a few years ago after years of pain following L5/6 herniation and microdiscection. Even after surgery I still have significant lumbar pain and have been unable to return to my active sporting life. On top of this I have a chronic axonal sensory neuropathy caused by a neurological antibody, so unrelated to the back problems. I use a crutch to walk.

12 months ago I had a followup scan as I was experiencing neck and mid back pain in addition to the lumbar nightmare. There were mild bulges of the C6-C7 and T11-T12 discs. At the time my neurosurgeon was happy to continue with a conservative treatment approach, but did mention the possibility of fusing the thoracic joint if not resolved.

After a followup scan this week the bulges are still present and my pain is, if anything, worse. The scan mentions in addition a focal right foraminal L5-L6 disc protrusion (!! the disc is removed!!??) and narrowing of the ipsilateral intervertebral foramen, and facet arthrosis at L5 to S1.

I have two questions: Does anyone else have experience of this sort of report after lumbar fusion and at what stage of pain and/or herniation has anyone had thoracic fusion?

Thanks for any comments,

Mairi

1997 - bilateral carpal tunnel decompression after pregnancy
2010 - L5-L6 discectomy after posterior disc herniation
2011 - L5-L6 ALIF
2013 - L6-S1 ALIF
2015 - diagnosed chronic axonal sensory neuropathy, awaiting treatment options
Mairi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote