Thread: Ginseng
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Balance

While I don't want to hijack my own thread, balance is a recurring topic in PD. The mundane act of standing and walking across a room becomes a literal "balancing act", for example. And PWP often have lives that are "out of balance" either from working all the time or drinking too much or both. The twenty-five cent description of PD as an imbalance between dopamine and acetylcholine is another. I don't think this is entirely coincidence.

Western medicine tends to see a healthy organism as one plowing ahead through the Sea of Life. Eastern medicine sees a healthy organism as serenely standing on one leg as the Sea surges past. Imbalance leads to stress via screwing up the finely tuned "fight or flight" center of the brain called the HPA axis. Even though their existence is barely recognized by science, the class of medicines known as adaptogens address this by restoring balance from both directions - too much or too little. Sometimes a little nudge is all you need. A big one could send you too far in the other direction. Do that often enough and you end up exhausted and your systems in chaos. Sounds a lot like ldopa treatment to me.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote