View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Nikko,

"APAP" is another name for, "acetaminophen", the generic name for., "Tylenol". It probably is an abbreviation for, "N-acetyl-p-aminophenol", the chemical name for Tylenol. I have never seen the wisdom in combining the meds. Oxycodone is an analog of a naturally occurring endogenous chemical, and so does no harm to the body when used appropriately. APAP is a poison is high dosages and harmful to the kidneys.

The reacquisition of patent rights to Oxycontin by Purdue has actually made it cheaper for some people with medical insurance. Many prescription insurance plans will pay for the entire cost of a brand name drug with a very small co-payment if there is no generic available. When the generic was available, getting the brand name by choice was hugely expensive. As I said, my experience was that the brand name was superior.

I have never had stomach problems with taking a narcotic med. I take hydrocodone for arthritis. The problems come when the weather gets warmer and I can reduce the dosage. I inevitably go through a period of "withdrawal" that produces relatively mild diarrhea that I control with Imodium. It only lasts a few days. The worst time of year for me, oddly, is the spring. Here in SF, the high temperature can vary 25 degrees from day to day, and the humidity is as variable as well. This results in weird dosing patterns with concomitant side-effects.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - T. Roosevelt