View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can see where all the uses of stem cells get confusing. There are so many trials, and new info coming up all the time regarding uses for them. I will try to explain it a little better-----but keep in mind, by no means am I an expert in this. I am just always researching possibly ways to regenerate my peripheral nerves.
The use of stem cells for cancer and for "rebooting" the immune system like in the CIDP trials involve immune suppression drugs as well. Once your own immune system is wiped out you are injected with your own(or in some cases, not your own) stem cells to start a new one.
Stem cell treatment/therapy seems to be used more for regenerative purposes. The stem cells are your own and when they are given back to you the location is based on what they are needing to regenerate. They are given back through IV for some conditions, like a stroke.
In my case, my neuropathy has not got worse in over 2 years. My Dr. feels there is no more attack on my nerves from my immune system ( due to previous treatments). what I am left with is axonal damage that is not regenerating on it's own.
This is why I want to have the stem cells injected directly into my damaged nerves. There is no damage coming from my spine, my brain or my immune system, if there was then it might make more sense to have them through IV where they get into those areas.
hope that explains it a little better without getting into a novel length post
northerngal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
beatle (04-04-2015), ger715 (04-04-2015), mrsD (04-06-2015)