View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Shocked Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theadhdwarrior View Post
I think this is one of the most overlooked factors in medication treatments for ADHD and related disorders. We often think of drug-drug, drug-food, or drug-environment interactions, but often neglect to consider important drug-hormonal interactions. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of research on these effects, at least at the moment.

Estrogen and progesterone fluctuations seem to have a big impact on medications, especially amphetamine or amphetamine-like stimulants.

In general, higher estrogen levels seem to increase the effects of amphetamines, while high progesterone levels seem to counteract this effect and decrease the effects of these stimulants.

During the follicular phase (pre-ovulation), a higher estrogen to progesterone ratio often results in more pronounced effects of stimulants such as amphetamines (a more pronounced effect or "high" can typically be seen during this stage), while during the luteal (post-ovulation) phase of the menstrual cycle, where progesterone levels are typically higher, these "euphoric" feelings associated with amphetamine-based ADHD treatments typically subside.

This could indicate that for women with ADHD who are taking stimulant meds (especially of the Adderall, Dexedrine and Vyvanse varieties of amphetamine-based treatments) may benefit from slightly higher doses of drugs during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle (when progesterone is higher relative to estrogen), while requiring slightly lower levels of medication to get the same effects during the relatively high estrogen boosts of the follicular phase.

I have never addressed my ADD/ADHD my entire life because my PMS is so severe that, frankly I'm afraid to add anything to the mix of my angry, moody state of mind during those days. Generally I get about 7 days in my body when I feel "fine" otherwise I'm ramping up to PMS, in PMS, having my period and then back myself for one precious week. It's been like this for almost a decade.. I truly hate being female most of the time...

That being said, my ADHD is worsening and I can't afford the constant distraction. My work is getting more demanding and I MUST FOCUS and PRODUCE. My doctor and I have discussed Adderall, but I'm scared of anything big Pharma.. I've come this far (45years old) and refrained from anything, yet I fear I can't anymore.

Also, I am in the wine industry, so alcohol plays a big role in my lifestyle.

Will Adderall make me even angrier during PMS? I can't afford that either. It's already pretty extreme. I certainly don't want to become some psycho-rage-aholic..