View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy S. View Post
Hi,
I had a VP Shunt put in a little over a week ago. Within hours I was having sharp pains in my lower abdomen. Then yesterday I started hurting in my right side and now it's clear across my stomach. It hurts to breathe move etc. I can't get comfortable or sleep. If anyone has any answers for me please help. This is my first surgery. Thanks in advance.
Hey Nancy,
You say a little over a week ago. When I first had my inserted it took a month for things to settle in my abdomen and the headaches were just beyond belief. In having a VP shunt inserted things have been disturbed from your head to your belly or the whole shunt train, the whole length. It's going to need time to settle a bit.
When I was first fitted with the shunt I had awful gut pain, I put it down to the medications they had me on. When I queried I was told'...its your body adjusting...' After a month I could still feel it but it was settling or I was getting used to it, but initially, it was awful bad. As I say, it took a good month for me to adjust. So give it a bit of time.
I'm about to write something and you may not like it and if my wife saw me writing it she would laugh at me, as I was less than happy when people said it to me, BUT.....
.... %^&*$ &^*(^ you've just had major brain surgery, don't be rushing it, things will get back to normal. BUT you have to give it time...
Now, I can write this out and laugh, but when I got out of hospital I wanted to get straight back into it and I pushed myself to do so, I went back to work. This was the worst thing I could have done, I didn't give myself time to adjust, time to acclimatise and 3 month later and I was in hospital again, having further surgery. My friends and family were the ones telling me 'not to rush it' and I kept telling them all ok, when it wasn't. I'm paying dearly for that now. So give ya self time.
Initially for me it was the headaches that messed me up, for me they took months and months to settle. Long after the abdominal pain had settled
Now everybody is different and if you still have major questions or worries, go see your GP or Neurosurgeon. Only you will know when things are right or wrong. Go see ya dr if you're unsure
Merl1n
Merl1n is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote