View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 03:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with everything Di said. The first week or two the post-surgical pain can be high for some - if this is so for you, then stick to your schedule for pain meds and don't worry about weaning off til the initial pain lessens - your body can't heal if it's stressed by high pain! And it's much easier to KEEP pain under control than to chase after it once it's raging out of control, capiche?

Also post-op, whenever you're sitting down, be sure to elevate your arm with those pillows, it takes the strain off the brachial plexus and will result in less pain. And when doing a lot of standing, you can do the same by sticking your thumb through a belt loop, your hand in a pocket, or using a sling or another device called an immobilizer which I was sent home with - you might ask about this. This is just a suggestion, and is only meant for the first weeks of recovery if you are in a situation where you will be standing quite a bit! It does help prevent pain, I can tell you from personal experience!

Most importantly, think positively, rest, and don't let yourself worry or get stressed out about anything. It is not a quick recovery from this type of surgery, typically, but slow and easy does it, ok?

Best wishes,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote