View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi s4d,

I still stress the need to see the oral surgeon who performed the surgery as he knows what he did and saw because he performed the surgery OR get a copy of the surgical report and take it to a neurologist. This other dentist cannot diagnose you with neuralgia just by looking at a dental x-ray. To medicate you for an undiagnosed problem and maybe even for a year or more of time just makes no sense.

It is good that your symptoms seem to be improving but that could also be just from the medication. What happens when the meds stop working?

I recommend seeing the treating oral surgeon and specifically asking him if he saw or touched the nerves as well as getting a copy of the surgical report for a neuro consult.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4d1984 View Post
Thanks Bryanna.

Things have improved somewhat but are still no where near where where they should be. The Lyrica didn't seem to help at all so I am back on Tramadol.

I still haven't seen the consultant who did the extraction as apparently he never seems to be there. I have seen someone else though who was the first person to put my mind at semi-ease a little bit. He did an x-ray to confirm there was nothing left from the extraction (there wasn't) and confirmed the damage to the nerve. I am seeing them again in approx. 3 weeks from now. The pain is currently fluctuating between severe and sharp, to dulled but is always constant. The numbness is still present in my lip, chin and lower teeth and gums. I also have burning sensations, which are apparently a good sign that something is happening.

They have said all I can do is bear it and wait and see if/how the feeling is returning next time they see me. He said nerve damage takes up to a year to repair and so it is just a waiting game. I am back at work and eating better so that's something compared to the absolute hell of before, although I'm still worried about what the final out come of all this is going to be!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote