View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My gut tells me that math is incredibly demanding on the visual system. Equations are expected to be understood as quickly as they are written down. In my experience a compromised visual - vestibular system even affects my ability to do mental math and abstract thinking. My theory is that I am too dizzy to be able to shift to more higher level stuff.

I was asked to do relatively math intensive project at work. For the average 12 grade student this would have been a piece of cake. Therefore, a former buisness major like myself would in most circumstances think it was a joke. However, it was incredibly difficult for me and it took me a while to understand what I was looking for and what I needed to do to get there. I was also required to be on a wharf, which made me much more dizzy than usual. The dizziness made my poor math and analytical skills much, much, much worse.

If you have visual scanning issues too good luck with all those numbers and symbols.

Interestingly my ability to do Suduko and kenken puzzles has only been moderately affected. I think the fact that they follow strict order and are relatively surprise free helps. However, I still have to quit after a few rounds b/c they make me dizzy.

Last edited by cerebellarmaniac; 04-09-2015 at 02:57 AM.
cerebellarmaniac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote