View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 08:27 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Chalky,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here.

The sequence and description of your physical ailments are indicative of a chronic infection that is coming from a source that oral antibiotics and root canal therapy are not able to eradicate. This type of infection is commonly associated with an infected tooth in which the infection has spread beyond the tooth. Taking medication may temporarily subside the symptoms but they never really go away because the source of the infection keeps the infectious bacteria alive. The source of the bacteria is the tooth.

Root canal procedures are done in an attempt to allow a person to retain an unhealthy tooth for an uncertain amount of time. The procedure is not capable of curing the infection because there is no access to remove infected nerve tissue from the hundreds of microscopic canals. The only area of the tooth that is worked on is the interior of the large visible canals and even those cannot be scraped clean of all nerve tissue. What this means is that the rc tooth remains infected and because the bacteria spreads beyond the tooth, other areas like the bone and sinus become infected also. Sometimes there are little to no symptoms with the initial spread of bacteria while other times there can be one or more ongoing symptoms which may feel like it is in the tooth or elsewhere.

The panoramic xray that was taken shows the upper and lower jaws in their entirety. It is diagnostic for many reasons however it does not take the place of the single dental xrays which show a much closer look at the exact area. Also, in spite of the fact that there is without contention an intricate connection between the health of our teeth and our sinus, some dentists do not make that connection and they will just keep recommending root canal after root canal from one tooth to the next. Taking that approach does not cure the problem, it adds more burden to it.

The only chance of eradicating the infection is to have the source of the infection removed which is the root canaled tooth. In your case because your infection is long standing.... meaning it has been present for a long time as that tooth was decaying ... there is a chance that the adjacent tooth is infected as well. To root canal the adjacent tooth does not favorably alter the status of the current root canaled tooth or the sinus infection because the procedure cannot cure the infection it can just add to the existing problem.

You may also be having intestinal upset from the antibiotics which have depleted your intestines of healthy bacteria. When this occurs, your immune system becomes weak and unable to deal with the chronic infection associated with your teeth and sinuses. Do you supplement with good bacteria called a probiotic? Do you know what that is or want information about that?

At this stage, you should see an oral surgeon (not a general dentist) for evaluation and recommendation of your upper teeth and sinus on that side. You may also have to consult with an ear, nose and throat physician.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to ask for clarification or more questions.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky74 View Post
Hi

Roughly 10 months ago after a routine check up I had my upper left wisdom tooth removed as it was in sideways & apparently causing my sinus some grief, it was quite a process. Once that was removed the dentist said the tooth next to it was badly decayed & was most likely the cause of the sinus issue. A root canal procedure was performed (I felt half of one of the procedures until more anaesthetic given).
In the few months after that I felt funny just above the area & under my eye, being winter & indoors would struggle with the left eye weeping etc & only upon fresh air would feel better.
Into spring & I was getting allergies which I had never got before & tired & miserable, post nasal drip, headaches etc. Then around xmas I got tonsillitis & once that cleared up bronchitis, & recently due to the headaches & pnd went back to the dr & he thought I had sinusitis so put me on more antibiotics for 8 weeks.

Recently I have had the pnd & every now & then sore throat & diarrhea. Then one day last week my upper left gum was swollen & one of the teeth there felt like it had it's own heart beat, it occurred to me re the wisdom tooth & root canal & it made sense that something there could be the cause to all my problems as it's the same area as a lot of the issues.

I went back to the same dentist & after he inspected & tapped on the upper teeth, the only one which was tender was the one which had the root canal done, he did one of the x rays that goes around your head.

He said that he was confused as the root canal looked fine but on the tooth next to it was a sinus infection above it & that he needed to consult with his senior colleague in what to do. He booked me in for next week & said most likely would need to do a root canal on the tooth next to the one which had the rc done.

I am worried as since I had the last rc done I have been not well & on antibiotics for sinus/upper respiratory problems, I have since read on the net that having the tooth extracted is the way to go as rc's can cause these sort of problems.

Sorry about the long post & any suggestions would be appreciated

Regards

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote