View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 04:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--that most rheumatologists are familiar with the anti-nuclear antibody vasculitic/connective disorders, they are not often familiar with a lot of the other autoimmune possibilities, even things like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and certainly not with a lot of the autoantibodies to components of central and peripheral nerve (many have not heard of Purkinje, GM1, GD1, anti-sulfatide class antibodies, for example). Then again, many neurologists haven't heard of these, either.

I personally find the whole field of autoimmunity fascinating, given that the leading assumption for the cause of my acute-onset body-wide small fiber neuropathy was/is autoimmune molecular mimicry (I've done a LOT of reading on the topic over the years; moreover, my wife works in development for the SLE [Lupus] Foundation, and I get to see a lot of the research papers coming out of there, as well as related ones).

One of the aspects of the gender differences in autoimmune condition occurrence I've become aware of, and that ties in with Mrs. D's hormonal/pregnancy musings, is that the gender imbalance in occurrence is much more pronounced during the childbearing years. For pediatric patients (though they more rarely show autoimmunity) and for the elderly, the gender imbalances are no where near as wide. For lupus, for example, there's about a 9:1 female/male ration before age 50, but after 50 the ratio reduces rapidly until above 65 it's more like 2:1. This pattern also seems to happen in MS (the usually given 3:1 female preponderance also drops with age) and with things like psoriasis and Hashimoto's. One wonders if post menopause the factors that predispose females to autoimmunity become muted and that results in the ratios becoming more even.
dont forget that autoimmunity is also not gender related, its also environmental. I posted in another thread, where the lack of exposure to microbes in early childhood will contribute to the autoimmune factor, this is becoming an increasing part of research. The more cleaner we are the more likely we will suffer cancers and autoimmune. In industrialized, and lising countries, autoimmune, allergies, cancers, are the predominant diseases, including inflammatory. At a young age, our immune system needs to develop by being exposed to non-infectious and infectious microbe to properly develop.
Something like chickenpox,measles mumps are mild illnesses in children, while teens and adults who get these for the first time can be much more severe.
Neuroproblem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote