View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Chalky,

Thank you for the kind words

Good that you take a probiotic everyday! It is helpful and beneficial if you occasionally change the probiotic that you are taking to one that offers a different variety of bacteria and/or is more potent than the one you have been taking. If you frequently have diarrhea or are prone to having that occur when you take an antibiotic, then you may need to change the probiotic. Also, anytime you have taken more than one course or taken different antibiotics in a short period of time, your probiotic needs will be different. A bacteria that helps a probiotic to be more effective in people who are lacking in beneficial bacteria due to illness, intestinal disorders or medication is called Saccharomyces Boulardii. Here is some info on that in case you are not familiar with it. FYI.. this supplement can be expensive but it is important to use one of good quality.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296087/

As I'm sure you already know, your diabetes is a significant factor in your oral health as you know infections can be quite troublesome for you. The systemic health risks correlated with retaining an infected tooth along with the chronic sinus infection are increased in someone with diabetes.

Many dentists will repetitively prescribe antibiotics for infected non vital teeth because they do not consider root canaled teeth to be a health burden until the bacteria from the tooth has proliferated way beyond the tooth. Even when that occurs, dentists may continue to prescribe meds and re-treatments to no avail. For most people, especially someone with an auto immune disease, the idea of taking numerous prescriptions and/or undergoing re treatment procedures during this waiting period for the infection to become more severe could be irreversibly detrimental. So I urge you to consider your dental and sinus situation very seriously and learn as much as you can about the health risks of retaining unhealthy teeth.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky74 View Post
Hi Bryanna

Wow it's great to hear somebody who knows what they are talking about Yes I take a probiotic daily. I forgot to mention I am also a type 1 diabetic. Which I have fairly well under control but doesn't help when your immune system is being challenged.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote