In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default More on exercise as PD prevention/stopper/reverser

1. From a presentation at the World Parkinson Congress 2006

http://www.neurologyreviews.com/apr06/parkinsons.html

Excerpt:

"Exercise, as well, is beneficial in reducing stress and maintaining one’s physical health, he said. Dr. Heydrick noted that accumulating evidence suggests that exercise can be neuroprotective and may even help "rewire" the brain to some extent. Examples of physical exercises that patients with Parkinson’s disease might want to consider include stretching such as yoga or Pilates, strength training such as weight lifting, and repetitive movement therapy—for example, walking on a treadmill, bicycling, and/ or swimming, or participating in exercise programs such as Think BIG (and LOUD), The Art of Moving, and Motivating Moves. Speech therapy is another example of repetitive movement therapy (of the vocal chords). Eastern therapies such as tai chi and qi gong may also be beneficial, he said.

"I’ve talked to many patients who have altered their environment ... through behavioral modification and decreased their stress, and the symptom relief—or at least improvement—was significant, and was in my life, too," concluded Dr. Heydrick."

I have been in direct contact with two parkies who tried and proved the benefits of a very simple concept which the developer termed "blood presure modulation therapy", a form of repetitive movement therapy , which amounts to nothing more than laying on motorized see-saw for as long as one can, in order to get a gentle rocking action on the body with amazing alleviation of symptoms, initially temporary but soon longer lasting, including medication reduction, with the continued use of the "rocker".
pdinfo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote