View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Pain on the dorsum of the foot can be referred from both the superficial peroneal (runs in between the big tendons at the front of the ankle) and the saphenous nerve which runs in front of the malleolus (find the big saphenous vein at the inside ankle knob and the nerve runs anterior to that). There are two major curtaneous nerves on the dorsal foot, the lateral dorsal cutaneous nerve and the medial dorsal cutaneous. The lateral is palpable beneath the skin at the bend at the front of the ankle, very easy to put cream on. Look them up online, you can actually see the dorsal cutaneous on some people and find it easily where it rolls across the big tendon at the left front of the ankle where the "bend" is.

Or you can avoid the anatomy lesson and just put the patch across the front of the ankle from one malleolus to the other and you will pretty much hit all of them! FYI, swelling at the anterior ankle takes a long time to resolve and those nerves are pretty sensitive to pressure. Mine were quite sore for months and are now improving, pain at the dorsal cutaneous is gone and I thought I was going to have that forever. Careful with the compression socks, some of them really put pressure on that area and can inadvertently contribute.

Good luck! I am sending more healing love, Littlepaw

Last edited by Littlepaw; 04-14-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote