View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Minimac,

I have been shocked by electricity many times. Believe me, you would know it if you had been shocked. It the electricity went down your finger from one plug end to the other, you would feel a tingle or zap in your finger. Nothing would make it past your finger.

If you touched a separate live wire with each hand, the shock would go up your right arm, across your chest and down your left arm. Ouch, that would sting. It would also be bad for your heart if the shock was more than momentary. But, it would not effect your brain. You would need one or both of the wires to be contacting your head to shock your brain.

To get a sense of what an electrical shock feels like, you can try this. Get a 9 volt battery with those snap connectors on the top. Wet your finger and touch both snap connectors. You will feel a 9 volt 5 to 30 milliAmp shock. An electrical power cord would be up to 100 times that if good contact is make.

Most people have dry skin so very little current will flow through their skin. That is why you need to wet your fingers to get a shock from the 9 volt battery.

When I did electrical work in homes, I would routinely use my fingers (same hand) to test for a live circuit. Even with the higher volts and amps of a house circuit, I would still need to wet my fingers just to get a mild sizzle.

So, again, No, you did not shock your brain, probably not even your fingers.