View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 06:13 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default For Bryanna: what does it mean: "tooth root reaching into facial/soft tissue"?

Hi Bryanna, hope you are well today.
I have a question for you- I guess you remember my root canal extraction story, and how I now have a Carlson Bridge that caused me quite some trouble for the first two weeks.
Well- tomorrow, I go - yet again- to see my dentist and to see how things are going with my bridge, and what else is going on, as I still feel something is not quite right. Even though my discomfort has lessened a LOT this past week, concerning the bridge I mean, and I am getting used to eating with the bridge and it does feel much less "weird" and "strange" as it did in the beginning.
HOWEVER! Something is still amiss. And I am now wondering, if maybe there is residual infection lingering around in the area of the extracted tooth (tooth nr 5). It was a root canaled tooth, and when the oral surgeon removed it about 3 months ago, he also removed all the dead tissue/bone, but one thing struck me kind of odd- during the surgery (I was awake, only local anesthesia, so he explained everything he was doing and observing to me) :" Oh, it is good you got this RC removed, no wonder it always felt funny and painful, because I can see here that the tip of the root of the tooth is growing/reaching into you facial tissue/cheek!". Now, I first thought he meant reaching into the sinus cavity, but he said, no, not at all, it was reaching into the soft tissue of my face! He also said it would have been worse if it had perforated the sinus cavity, and that it was not a problem. Well- I am beginning to think that there is some residual infection left there, because I do feel discomfort still close to my nostril on that side, and on the upper cheek, and when I look into the mirror, it looks slightly puffy, just the way it had looked when I had the root canal- most people cannot seem to tell, but I have noticed it long ago.
Now, as I am going to the dentist tomorrow, I am wondering what could be done to determine if there is indeed some infection left? Because, I can feel SOMETHING there, and sometimes I still get a slightly weird taste in that area, even though I cannot pinpoint it to one tooth like I could before. So, that is a strong indicator, I would think. But- how can my dentist see if this is true? My gums look fine, not reddened at all, so no obviousl sign of infection... I am also very scared that I will have to have the bridge removed in order to take care of the infection- I cannot pay for another bridge
When I had my post surgery check up at the oral surgeon, the xray of the site looked fine and he said all was healing well. But could it be that the infection is lingering in the soft tissue? What does that even mean, my root was reaching into the facial tissue/ cheek???
THANK YOU so much-
Meera
Meera Dasi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote