View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 10:31 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Just curious...did you get the actual results of your skin biopsy? If not, you should, just to see what (if any) notations were made in regards to morphology/condition of the fibers. Also to see what percentile the density is at and whether it is borderline. Doctors are quick to just report a 'normal' finding when in fact that details of results can be more telling.

They believe I now have psoriatic arthritis...with a SED rate of 100 and migratory swollen joints (fingers and now knees) and achilles tendon problems. I also have confirmed bone marrow swelling in the sacro-iliiac joints of the hips which is supposed to be another indicator. But it's a process to get a confirmed Dx of Psoriatic Arthritis without the psoriasis (although I did have a rash with the last swelling, but they didn't assess it). But I can say that most of my joints hurt and my neuropathy pain has been worse in the last 6-9 months since the joint swellings started.
Gosh ESR of 100 is high!! We are the other way round because my poly arthritis started four years ago and lasted about nine months until it settled firmly in my hands and wrists and I was diagnosed with RA as the type of swelling is quite specific apparently. The thing about PsA is that it tends to respond less well to conventional DMARDs - so the criteria for Biologic drugs is easier to meet with PsA than with RA here in the UK - although these criteria are still pretty strict because of the expense for the NHS of Biologic drugs.

I may or may not be brave enough to ask my GP for print offs of my skin biopsy results. If we do move away I will definitely ask so I have these results in hard copy for the next GP practice and rheumatology team and for myself of course. I've given up expecting anything to show up now. I see a surgeon about my GI troubles a week today and I'm sure I will have endoscopies and scans and still come out none the wiser. This should be a good thing of course but for me and many others uncertainty/ symptoms without diagnosis is much harder to deal with than certainty no matter how bad. I have to know what kind of lemons (if lemons or perhaps grapefruit?!) I have in order to make the lemonade!

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote