View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchwitch View Post
Hello All, 34, female here.

I am new and was just recently diagnosed with plexus neuritis (shoulder neuralgia amyotrophy, has many names), but the cause is not really understood.

I also have 2 herniations in my C-spine (C5/C6 - C6/C7), which my neuro says are too low to be connected to the level of my arm pain, so he believes I have two separate things. Needlesstosay, I have lots of neck pain.

The EMG of my deltoid was abnormal (increased action potentials, fasciculations, positive waves), and I had clinical weakness in my arm of 4/5. I am terrified of this being MND/ALS.

Arm Symptoms:
Pain in my shoulder and arm, usually in the same areas. Deep, stabbing/pinching pain, that sometimes feels hot/warm. Cortisone therapy now helps just a little with the pain. I just started gabapentin on top of the cortisone...

My arm is totally restless - it's twitching, vibrating, and pulsating (my heart beat thumping). Is this my arm dying or healing? Is it normal in neuropathy to twitch, and also twitch when the muscle is being used?

Weakness - this is what is bothering me and scarying me the most. My left arm shakes when holding things, or when I am trying to do simple exercises (I am in physiotherapy). I know it takes a long time for nerves to heal, but did anyone experience their weakness get worse before it ever got better?

I am very scared about the cause not being known and the weakness and I would like to reach out to others who have neuropathy/neuritis to see if others experience the same fears, same symptoms and for tips on how to cope.

Has anyone experienced ways to help nerves heal sooner - like B vitamin infusions or acupuncture...other things?

Other info:
  1. Brain MRI was normal
  2. Reflexes are normal (which is weird to me if I have weakness. My neuro said that the deltoid that is weak, does not produce a reflex...)
  3. My neuro is ruling out ALS because of the pain, my age and location of weakness (upper arm/shoulder), when usually limb onset ALS is distal (hand/foot), but I am still very uneasy.

Thanks for your time!
The R-lipoic acid and Methyl B12 really help me with my pain. I started from the folks' here recommendation.

mrsD is the expert and there are some stickies for suggestion.

Hope you get better soon.
baba222 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (04-17-2015), twitchwitch (04-17-2015)