View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 03:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Involuntary movement during MRI?

I have a quick question. A sore on my toe has been taking a long time to heal, more than two months. It has finally closed up and seems to be forming skin, but is still ugly and I have to wear a pressure boot or it opens back up. The infection has cleared.

My podiatrist wanted an MRI to see if a cartilage formation was causing the problem. I just came back from it, really upset and feeling like a loser because the tech said i kept moving my toes. Now I have no small nerve fibers in my feet and lower legs, and I cannot voluntarily move my toes, but they do move on their own sometimes. Also the muscles in back of my leg are extremely tight from the CMT and large muscle neuropathy and tightening those muscles does put a lot of pressure on the very week toe muscles, like marionette strings.

I take Baclofen for spasticity, but evidently it didn't do enough. I was trying very hard not to move, and I have never had any problem with other MRIs, but I really have no control over my toes and feet.
My questions are- has anyone else had this problem, where it is impossible to immobilize your feet for an MRI? Would it have worked better if I had taken 10mg of Valium before the test to try and relax the muscles?

The position I was in, with my leg stretched out straight, is one that causes a great deal of pain as time goes on due to the tightness of the muscles, but even at the beginning of the test she was having trouble getting a clear picture. She completely abandoned the idea of trying it with dye since she couldn't find my veins anyway. All in all it was a rough afternoon and now my legs and feelings are both hurt. I tried to explain the physiology behind this but I felt like she didn't believe me. "Well, you see I have no nerves in my feet and legs and the muscles go into spasms...". I have a horror of not being a "good patient" and I feel really down on myself right now although I have no idea what I could have done.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (04-17-2015), EmilySH (04-18-2015)