View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi kompose,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you. I do try to keep up with everyone here in between my busy schedule with family, work and school.

I am sorry you are enduring such pain. But because you have not had dental care, including preventive care in over 20 years, there is a good chance that the radiating pain may be associated with other teeth. For a variety of reasons many people avoid seeing the dentist until something forces them to go. I'm not judging or questioning that, I'm saying that I understand because I have been working with dental patients for over 30 years.

I would suggest that you skip the cleaning for now as your mouth is still vulnerable from the extraction and you've got enough inflammation to deal with right now. However, I would also suggest that you schedule a comprehensive examination and full mouth series of x-rays to determine what else is going on as you may have some other issues that need to be addressed which could be causing or contributing to your pain.

If you have not had a professional cleaning in 20 years, you are most likely going to have a lot of hard calculus at and below your gum line which in of itself causes inflammation and pain. So having the full examination will help determine the type of cleaning that you need as well as what else is going on.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help to you but due to your particular circumstances, you need to have a full evaluation to know what is going on as it may or may not have much to do with the extraction site.

I hope I have explained that clearly. Please keep in touch here and let us know how things go with the examination.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kompose29 View Post
Hello,

I'm answering my own thread to update since i haven't gotten an answer in the past few days.

The extraction site i think is healing well... I mean the only reason i assume that is because i no longer see the white skin, now in the hole i see pink gum, same color as the rest of the gum around it. This morning when i woke up i mistakenly stretched real hard and it hurt my mouth. My spit was brownish.

But i'm updating because again of this toothache pain that i've been getting since the extraction.

24hrs to 5 days: Pain was itchy, uncomfortable. I was told it's because my site is healing but in the evening and morning I would wake up to toothache-like pain in the extraction site. In the evening, ubuprofen 400mg takes some time to work and same in the morning but it depends. It works best during the day.

5th day Dentist: I went in because i wanted him to look and tell me if all was healing. He said the gum looks fine but the blood clot was coming out a little so he pushed it or something and used some cotton gel thing to seal the site. He said this will help with the healing but now my healing will take just a little bit more time. He didn't prescribe any other painkillers. Said i should continue taking ibuprofen.

5th day to 9th day (today): My brain isn't functioning properly. I think it's all the ibuprofen i have been taking daily since February due to 2 colds and 1 flu followed by the toothache for 2 weeks before extraction. I forget things and can't carry not even my computer bag because it's just so heavy. I can't walk fast cause I'm tired non-stop and just have 0 mood for everything. Unfortunately I failed my exam because I couldn't focus. The gum is healing well or so I think but there is some inflammation around the top canine and 1st molar. (the extraction site is of the bottom 1st molar). I believe the inflammation is due to this gum issue i had previously to the extraction where the gum was hanging a bit over these two teeth.

The pain description: So this is the pain i've been having and I can't understand why the dentist wouldn't tell me what it is. Everyone around me look at me wide eyed when I tell them I still have pain after tooth extraction. The pain is around the canines. Both top and bottom. The extraction site and in the jawbone near the cheek and ear, with ear pain sometimes. Going 1 year back. I broke the corner of my 1st molar and didn't do anything about it for two months. When the toothache began, dentist said the cavity reached the nerve and i will need root canal or extraction. I heard some bad things about rootcanals so I opted for extraction and implant. Well i couldnt extract the tooth then because when the pain went away after 5 days I got busy with school. No pain since because i never truly ever again ate on the right side of my mouth. A notable pain that came along with the toothache was this jawbone burning pain. It would go away with the meds during them 5 days period.

One year later (4 weeks ago) The pain returned. The same week i was put on antibiotic for 5 days until extraction, the jawbone pain returned, only more intensely than one year ago. Even though the toothache was painful I never found myself crying because of it. I cried because the horrible pain my jawbone was causing near the end of the jaw that leads to the cheek bones and ear. So 5 days later I finished my 5 days of antibiotics and the jaw pain stopped as it came with it when i started taking them. The week of the extraction I had to skip. I suffer from anxiety and I just freaked out but rescheduled for a week later (Last week, extraction week).

This jawbone pain is being here ever since. If i open my mouth it aches and returns and is more noticeable during the evening when I'm sitting working on my computer like every other night. Like mentioned before, I can't think straight lately and I've had problems forgetting, maybe again due to the ibuprofen i've been taking daily. I don't know what's going on anymore. I have been sleeping sitting in my bed for 3 weeks now but the simple contact with anything against my head triggers this jawbone pain that gives me pain in the extraction site. I don't know if this is all normal. Maybe i have forgotten to mention things that may help people answer my issue but for now this is what it is and i just don't know what to do anymore. I'm supposed to have my teeth cleaning this monday but at this point i can't even do it since i'm still aching.

The pain i have is not too much to make one cry, but enough to make you feel miserable because you can't study, can't work, can't think, can't function, to the point of wanting to just knock your head against the wall and loose consciousness till this is all over.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote